Re: teaching users how to submit good bug reports

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 11:11:46 -0700
Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 11:03:08AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> writes:

> > > If you can come up with a good way to inform users of that without
> > > annoying users who already know that, by all means do so.
> > > Otherwise, while I grant your point, I don't see what I can or
> > > should do about it.
>
> > There's probably something wrong with this idea or someone would
> > have suggested it already, but what about putting a mention of
> > reportbug in our default /etc/motd?
>
> Nowadays the default /etc/motd on Ubuntu points at help.ubuntu.com;
> perhaps there's a similar high-level resource for Debian (which I'm
> not able to think of at the moment) that could include information
> about reporting bugs?

One possibility is something on the main desktop menu, under System.
Not under System|Admin or System|Preferences - a top level menu entry
just under Help called "Report a bug" ?

The hindrance there is getting something equivalent on other desktops
but as the default is still GNOME, it might help a bit. XFCE could have
a default icon on it's panel - haven't run KDE in such a long time that
I've got no idea where it would appear in KDE.

--

Neil Williams