Re: teaching users how to submit good bug reports

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 09:23:12AM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Vi, 23 iul 10, 02:51:36, brian m. carlson wrote:
> > >
> > > This is news for me. Is there any thoughts on making this the default?
> >
> > It's enabled if stupidmode is set.  To do that, say that "no" when
> > asked if you have an MTA configured and just hit enter when it asks for
> > your smarthost.  You can always edit the config file as well.  It will
> > print the same lines regardless, except that they're commented out when
> > stupidmode is off.
>
> How about not asking at all if the user chooses 'novice', or even
> 'standard'.

Or maybe just making the text explain that the default will actually work.
I currently reads:
| Do you have a "mail transport agent" (MTA) like Exim, Postfix or SSMTP
| configured on this computer to send mail to the Internet? [Y|n|q|?]? n
| Please enter the name of your SMTP host. Usually it's called something like
| "mail.example.org" or "smtp.example.org". If you need to use a different port
| than default, use the <host>:<port> alternative format. Just press ENTER if you
| don't have one or don't know.

When I read that, I just though if I hit enter, it will just not be able to
send mails... So on my laptop I configured my home MTA, but it only works when
I'm at home... According to what you are saying I should have left it blank
here.

What about adding "(It will directly connect to debian)" or something
similar to the message above ?

Best Regards,

--
Julien Viard de Galbert                        <julien@vdg.blogsite.org>