Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
>> In Launchpad, for anything in universe, the typical experience is that
>> your bug goes into a black hole until a month or two later someone sends
>> you some form letter about it.
>
> That's why I stopped reporting bugs against Fedora years ago, they kept being
> automatically closed a couple of releases later.  I would report a bug in RHEL
> and have it not deemed suitable for an update to the current release (which
> was fair), I would report it against Fedora and then it would be closed
> automatically.
>
> The Red Hat bug tracking system is less efficient for me than the Debian one.
> The ratio of bug reports that they receive to the number of bugs that they can
> fix is obviously worse than that of Debian.  So the end result is that people
> like me are deterred from filing bug reports and people with less ability to
> correctly diagnose problems find it easier.

> It seems to me that the Debian bug tracking system is better than that of Red
> Hat.  I don't recall anything about the Ubuntu bug tracker so I can't comment
> on that.
>
> In recent times I haven't bothered trying to report bugs against other
> distributions.  When I find a bug in some other distribution I develop a work-
> around for it there and then try to reproduce it in Debian.  If I can
> reproduce it in Debian then I file a Debian bug report.
>
> --
I agree it will be nice also like forwarded to cross reference bug in
other distro bugzilla and automatically detect whan other distro have
cooked a patch instead to found it manually.

Bastien