From: paul.is.wise@gmail.com [paul.is.wise@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Paul Wise [pabs@debian.org]
Sent: 22 July 2010 07:09
To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number  of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 1:38 AM, Hans-J. Ullrich <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:

> Group 1 can be interested, either when there are Debian (and I mean really
> Debian, not derivates like Ubuntu) preinstalled Computers available. These
> should be easily configurable. A graphical interface (for example in the style
> of webmin) is absolutely necessary. There are a lot of people outside, which
> are NOT gamers, but like internet surfing, need office, e-mail and other stuff.

A couple of netbook models ship with Debian:

http://wiki.debian.org/Hardware/ShippingWithDebian

> Group 2 IMO can only be motivated, if it will be possible, to prove customers
> and distributors, that a fine installed debian is running much faster than a
> windows system. I imagine, that preconfigured "gaming images" or "-packages"
> might help them.

The Debian games team created goplay to help users discover games in
Debian. Perhaps this needs more promotion and more people creating
screenshots and probably a rewrite to look more flashy.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise