Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

1, 2010 at 10:36 PM, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
> "Fuentes, Adolfo" <A.Fuentes@liverpool.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> - If the user is experienced, they argue that the libraries are somehow
>> old compared to other distros, with cutting-edge software. Here it
>> depends on individuals, since I prefer the solid-rock stability of
>> Debian to the problem of upgrading systems regularly.
>
> This one always boggles me and makes me wonder if we should present Debian
> unstable or testing as the "typical" installation.  Debian testing (and
> often Debian unstable) is more stable than the distributions with
> equivalent up-to-date libraries, and those distributions generally never
> offer anything remotely like Debian stable.  (RHEL is considerably more
> unstable than Debian stable *and* has even older software, for example.)
>
> --
> Russ Allbery (rra@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>
>

> --

Are you serious? What about the stability Debian is known for? IMHO,
this totally ruins the point of Debian. Back when I first started
using Linux, I always heard that Debian == Stability. And now as a
server admin, I like how little Debian changes, and how you can expect
almost no breakages when upgrading stable. I can't get that from most
other distros; that's why I pick Debian as my server Linux of choice.

If people think this is a problem with Debian, rather than a feature,
then Debian just isn't for them, and I don't think Debian should try
and meet every single use case out there. Granted my opinion really
doesn't count in the long run, but I choose Debian stable for servers
because of its stability. Testing and unstable just don't cut it for
servers in my book.

--
-Will Orr