Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

Christian PERRIER writes ("Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling"):
> That number is decreasing. Is that *really* a surprise for anyone?
> These days, in 2010, who is really seriously thinking that, apart from
> a few hardcore geeks, someone who is considering to install a
> Linux-based operating system on a personal machine will even include
> Debian in his|her first choices?

A much larger number will consider, and perhaps install, a Debian
derivative.  I think we should regard those users as a part of our
success, and not too badly bemoan the loss of them as direct users.

> So, our market are now server-style machines...or maybe still very
> large installation of desktop systems based on Debian (Extremadura,
> Munich, probably dozens of schools|universities...). [...]

We certainly shouldn't stop targetting desktop systems just because
people prefer to install a Debian derivative.  Debian itself is always
going to have more rough edges than a dedicated end-user-oriented
distro, because Debian is trying to be all things to all people.  I'm
constantly amazed and impressed by how well we have succeeded in that
traditionally impossible goal.

Ian.