Re: xulrunner 1.9.2 into sid?

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 02:57:32AM -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> and engage in poor supportability/secuirity practices (using embedded
> code copies instead of system libraries) [0]. This path is
> unnacceptable for Debian.
>
> In my personal opinion, the only viable option left is to drop all
> mozilla and mozilla-depending packages from main
> [...]
> Losing mozilla wouldn't be that significant of an loss since there
> are plenty of other good options nowadays (webkit, konquerer, chromium,
> etc.), which wasn't the case a year or so ago.

Wait, wait... you promote webkit-based browsers, every single of which
embeds the complete webkit codebase -- while you name exactly that issue as
the reason why Ubuntu's approach to xulrunner is unacceptable.  Hmm...
Yeah, indeed that approach is bad, but that's a reason to remove chromium
and konqueror which do use it, not iceweasel which doesn't.

Also, Chromium doesn't support even the base essentials, like working
AdBlock[1] or sane cookie handling[2].  And Konqueror is just a bad joke,
barely better than Dillo or Amaya (no, not the DD).

So your proposal would remove the only reasonably featured browser from
Debian.

[1]. A Chromium extension named "AdBlock" exists, but it merely hides the
junk after downloading them -- so you merely don't see them while still
being subjected to slowdown, having your bandwidth stolen, being tracked,
having advertising scripts running, being exposed to more of potentially
unpatched vulnerabilities, and all that kind of goodies...

[2]. Chromium doesn't even understand the concept of session cookies.  It
does allow purging cookies at exit -- but that applies to all cookies,
including the few you do want to keep.  Iceweasel's default handling isn't
perfect, but it can be set to something sane even without installing any
extensions,

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be