Re: ITP: php-recaptcha -- PHP interface to recaptcha.net

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> No, but we wrote that a free software in our view, should not depend on
> a non-free software. The question is: is this an RPC call to a remote
> (non-free) library. My take is: definitively yes. As we are clearly on
> the line here, so I do respect other's opinion, but I thought it was a
> worth topic.

I'm sorry but I don't buy the idea of an "RPC call" being special.
We have plenty of software interacting with REST API provided
by non-free services and such API calls could qualify as RPC
calls in exactly the same way.

I understand that you want to argue that the main logic is outsourced
to a non-free service and this is what wakes this case special in your
eyes. But it doesn't make the code in our distribution less free and
that's the only thing that matters.

> Anyway, I think I have made my point, and it would be useless (and
> boring for everyone) to write more on this.

Indeed.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog