Re: ITP: php-recaptcha -- PHP interface to recaptcha.net

]] Thomas Goirand

| Because I took the time to package php-text-captcha, which has been
| ready for MONTHS, it might also give me a bit more of legitimacy to
| comment about a PHP module that I refused to work with, because I
| considered that there was a more free alternative. Have you done such
| a work to consider what php captcha module should be in Debian?

There's no reason for Debian to only have one PHP captcha module if
there are more that are suitable and they are different enough to
justify having both in the archive.

| Some made the comparison (like you just did) with IM clients, specific
| browsers (like youtube clients and others), but I don't believe this
| applies here. To my opinion, I believe this is a remotely executed
| procedure, stored on a non-free server that we wont ever control, which
| makes php-recaptcha a good candidate for contrib. This is a lot more
| complex debate than what you pretend.

I don't see how that is fundamentally different from, say, youtube-dl.

| We are talking about a remote procedure on a software, that has no
| valid reason to be used as a service, and not embedded on the server
| that you use. If you believe that there's a valid reason, I welcome
| you to express yourself about it.

The valid reason is making those text where the captchas come from be
more accessible.

[...]

| If Debian is not the entity to refuse/complain about it, then who will?
| Do we really care about software freeness? I hope we (as an entity)
| still do, and I *know* many of us still do.

Part of software freedom is the no discrimination against fields of
endeavour bit.  Software that's not allowed to be used for evil
(whatever that is) as well as good isn't free.

--
Tollef Fog Heen