Re: [php-maint] ITP: php-recaptcha -- PHP interface to recaptcha.net

On 2010-06-20, Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@43-1.org> wrote:
>> As I see it, php-recaptcha should be sent to non-free (which means
>> anything depending on it would go in contrib). I'd be happy to see
>> others expressing themselves here, in order to make sure I don't hold an
>> extreme view on this.
[...]
> Compare with the various clients for proprietary instant messengers,
> YouTube, other Google services, ...: The server software is not
> available for any of these either.

And clients like lastfm in main.  We never had the requirement that the
web service must be free.  Of course it would be cool if it would be,
but it's no reason for the package to go into non-free.

There are some clients that rely on screenscraping and the like, that's
technically discouraged, but if there are clear APIs it's ok.  Mind you,
the server software for a given service might even be under the GPL
(relying on GPL'ed libraries), but not published, as the server owner
does not have to.

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern