Re: Indicator applets and related packages

Hi,

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Could you avoid changing the packaging system when you take things to
> Debian? We do use cdbs for those because it makes easier some of the
> things we are doing, we could need to add a diff back for langpacks
> translations for example over your version rather than being able to
> sync the source. That's something we should solve by porting our tools
> to dh7 but right now it's not done so meanwhile if we want to work
> together on those directly in Debian it would be nice to let the rules
> use cdbs if you can...

Following some discussions with Sébastien, he filed that bug to ensure a
solution is found for packages using "dh":
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/debhelper/+bug/595008

Joey, your input as debhelper maintainer on what could be upstreamed
to Debian would be interesting.

I'm not familiar with Ubuntu's languages packs so I can't contribute much
on this topic but it would be nice if Ubuntu could create/use them without
having to modify the Debian source packages. I don't know whether it's
important that it be enabled package by package or if it could be extended
to all packages. Right now they are enabled on Ubuntu only for Gnome/KDE
packages through modifications to pkg-kde-tools and cdbs (for Gnome).
If someone has a good idea, feel free to submit it in the bug above.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Like what I do? Sponsor me: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/05/5-years-of-freexian/