Re: status of circulars dependencies in unstable

On 06/06/2010 18:29, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le dimanche 06 juin 2010 à 18:06 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen a écrit :
>> [Bill Allombert]
>>> Dear developers,
>>> Today circular dependencies in unstable reached an all-time low.
>>
>> Very good to hear.  If only we could get it down to zero, piuparts
>> would be able to test all the packages and a more deterministic
>> package installation order would be ensured.  :)
>
> Indeed that would help a lot.
>
> It is probably too late for squeeze, but how about forbidding it into
> the policy after the release?

I do not know if it is too late nor if this is the root of the problem,
but, last week, I upgraded two different machines from lenny to squeeze
(testing). In both case, the upgrade path found by apt-get and aptitude
involved removing all xorg packages.
  Note that I have been able to upgrade dpkg before most of the other
packages (ie "apt-get install dpkg" only pull a few packages) but trying
to do the same with apt or aptitude trigger the removing of all xorg
packages and the upgrade of several hundreds of packages.
  Reinstalling xorg packages after the upgrade worked well.

  Regards,
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0x9D025E87         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: FC95 08A6 854D DB48 4B9A  8A94 0BF7 7867 9D02 5E87