Re: status of circulars dependencies in unstable

On Sun, Jun 06, 2010 at 06:29:01PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le dimanche 06 juin 2010 à 18:06 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen a écrit :
> > [Bill Allombert]
> > > Dear developers,
> > > Today circular dependencies in unstable reached an all-time low.
> >
> > Very good to hear.  If only we could get it down to zero, piuparts
> > would be able to test all the packages and a more deterministic
> > package installation order would be ensured.  :)

Circular dependencies should not prevent piuparts from testing packages.
That's simply a bug in piuparts for not knowing what to do with them.

> Indeed that would help a lot.

> It is probably too late for squeeze, but how about forbidding it into
> the policy after the release?

Forbidding something that has always been supported and that has a number of
useful (and important) corner cases should not be the role of policy.
Please demonstrate first that the use cases for which circular depends are
used have been adequately addressed, *before* ruling it out in Policy.

If there are a limited subset of problem cases where circular deps are still
needed, it would be fine to have policy enumerate these exceptions and
forbid it in the general case.