Re: how to help end-users to increase the life-time of their SSDs

On Sun, 2010-06-06 at 10:28 +0400, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> > - optionally /var/tmp as tmpfs
> Not an answer to your original question, just a not-so-random observation.
> /var/tmp is declared by LFS as "temporary storage that persists across
> reboots".  It wont be this way if it's on tmpfs obviously.
That's why I've said optionally,... as far as I understand the FHS
(http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#VARTMPTEMPORARYFILESPRESERVEDBETWEE) it is still allowed to clean it up,... it should happen just less frequently.

> > - moving my browser's Cache to some tmpfs (either it's own) or simply
> > to /tmp
> And browser cache is something that is not very useful if it does not
> survive a reboot.
Well isn't it also used for just reloading the site and so?

Chris.