how to help end-users to increase the life-time of their SSDs

Hi folks.

I recently got my first SSD payed by my university and, even though
modern SSDs seem to have smart wear leveling algorithms and more and
more parts of kernel/userspace support TRIM, I was thinking about what
one can do to improve its lifetime.

The most obvious things I found were:
- /tmp as tmpfs
- optionally /var/tmp as tmpfs
- moving my browser's Cache to some tmpfs (either it's own) or simply
to /tmp

Perhaps there are more good ideas others here might have (and add), but
I'm writing because I thought how we could best bring such changes to
the end-users?

- Just providing some document with tips and howtos?
This has at least the disadvantage that many people probably never read
it, and that we cannot "fix" things which are no longer necessary (e.g.
if /tmp is on tmpfs, we do not have to clean it any longer.. ok bad
example, as we should keep this one probably as it happens anyway on
startup, not on shutdown IIRC).

- Providing a separate package, which does the necessary stuff e.g.
modifying /etc/fstab or adding own initscripts that check whether an SSD
is used, and if so mount /tmp on tmpfs? And if the users wished to do
so, also /var/tmp?
Such a package could still provide a README, dealing with things the
package cannot do automatically (e.g. the iceweasel cache directory)

- Integrate such functionality in existing packages?

Cheers,
Chris.