Re: Improving in-place upgrades of Ada packages from Lenny to Squeeze

David Kalnischkies <kalnischkies+debian@gmail.com> writes:

> 2010/5/28 Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org>:
>> Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> writes:

>>> with

> The name libX1-dev suggests that it can be co-installed with libX2-dev and co
> as otherwise the version number wouldn't make much sense
> (yeah i know, in a few other cases… i said not much) -
> automatic updates in which libX1-dev is killed for good by libX2-dev
> is absolutely not what i would expect as packages will (build-)depend
> on libX1-dev which obviously can not be satisfied by libX2-dev -- if
> it could it would be called libX1-dev also or even libX-dev and only
> the real library is called libX2 …

Yes, that is all true. It is also required by the rules of the Ada
language. Please read the Debian Ada policy [1] (in particular, section
3.2) for an explanation of this naming convention.

> This is normally done for Package renames and described in e.g.
> http://wiki.debian.org/Renaming_a_Package

That is an excellent suggestion; I'll try it.

> So i would recommend to describe more what you actually want and
> your specific problem

That was done by Ludovic's original post in this thread.

[1] http://people.debian.org/~lbrenta/debian-ada-policy.html

--
-- Stephe