Re: Improving in-place upgrades of Ada packages from Lenny to Squeeze

Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> writes:

> Over the last two weeks I have been testing upgrades of Ada packages
> from Lenny to Sid and Squeeze in a chroot.

Thanks for looking at this.

> The reason for all this is that when a package libX2-dev Conflicts: with
> and Replaces: a package libX1-dev, aptitude does not remove libX1-dev
> and install libX2-dev; instead, it marks libX1-dev as broken and leaves
> libX2-dev uninstalled.

This seems like a clear bug in aptitude.

Debian policy 7.6.2 says that Replaces: with Conflicts: should cause the
old package to be removed, and the new package to be installed, so why
doesn't this work?

--
-- Stephe