Re: RFH: bashisms in configure script

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 08:05:32AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> I'm still feeling uneasy about this whole bash->dash thing. We sacrified
> a lot of usability in the name of POSIX compliance (only a minority of
> users care) and a few seconds spared during boot (who cares? I only boot
> my laptop for kernel upgrades).

"boot"?  It's hardly because of boot, it's mostly because of scripts that
keep getting run on your system all the time.  They make up ~16% of files in
/usr/bin/, and, unlike programs in other languages, they tend to be very
short-lived and thus get started a lot.

And shell is not just for proper separate-file scripts.   Let's glance at
what gets done during a build:
     │      ├─sshd───sshd───bash───make───5*[sh───x86_64-linux-gn─┬─as]
     │      │                                                     └─cc1plus]
You have a separate bash/dash/posh process for every single command run by
make.  With bash's insane startup time, that makes a significant difference.

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be