Re: RFH: bashisms in configure script

On 05/26/2010 08:05 AM, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm still feeling uneasy about this whole bash->dash thing. We sacrified
> a lot of usability in the name of POSIX compliance (only a minority of
> users care) and a few seconds spared during boot (who cares? I only boot
> my laptop for kernel upgrades).

Many desktop users boot regulary, besides if you have a difficult to
reach SLA, it's nice to have a fast boot...

> Was is really the right path to follow? Wouldn't it have been easier to
> work on bash to make sure that it supports everything POSIX requires,
> and to improve its performance a bit?
>
> Now we are going to patch configure scripts to make sure that they can
> run correctly with dash. What's next? Rewrite C programs that use
> GCC-specific extensions?

Making sure they run correctly with dash is one solution, making sure
they run with bash is another one...

Regarding C, that's kind of happening with gcc becoming more and more
compliant with the standard...

Cheers

Luk