Re: Recent changes in dpkg

On 2010-05-26, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 26. Mai 2010, Philipp Kern wrote:
>> ETOPIC.  You have to specify the format in the package.  Nowhere they
>> write that 1.0 will disappear.  And they say "in the long term" too, so
>> "debian/source/format" should be propagating naturally into most of the
>> packages due to the lintian tag.
> And I haven't heard of a single reason, why the lack of
> debian/source/format *shouldn't* be interpreted as, well, source/format
> 1.0.

As far as I understood it, it's not that much about unpacking, because
the format is pretty clear then, but about packing (or in this case
repacking) the source package.  There you should be explicit in what
you mean because future versions of dpkg might abort if the source version
is not explicitly specified in the package.

Now I think the maintainers did outline why they want that in the past. :P

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern