Re: Recent changes in dpkg

	Hi!

* Philipp Kern <trash@philkern.de> [2010-05-27 08:11:36 CEST]:
| As far as I understood it, it's not that much about unpacking, because
| the format is pretty clear then, but about packing (or in this case
| repacking) the source package.  There you should be explicit in what
| you mean because future versions of dpkg might abort if the source version
| is not explicitly specified in the package.

 Why is that needed? It always was explicit that 1.0 is meant, what's
the need for the change?

| Now I think the maintainers did outline why they want that in the past. :P

 Why they want it unfortunately is a wrong reasoning - the actual
pending and still unanswered question is "why it is needed". They
want people to switch to 3.0. By forcing to put something into
debian/source/format people start putting 1.0 in there for no gain. I
still fail to have received any real answer why debian/source/format
"1.0" containing is better than no debian/source directory at all.

 Making it mandatory does break existing behavior, even though I was
told that it won't happen "before all packages do have it". Fortunately,
there isn't only packages in our pool, so that point will never be
reached, and forcing people to put it in there out of principle with no
actual outlined reason on *why* doesn't help.

 Thanks,
Rhonda