Re: Re (2): lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")

On Tue, 25 May 2010 12:03:17 -0400 (EDT), Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>>
>> You're missing the point.  The main selling point to management
>> is that Linux is free.
>
> No software is entirely without cost.  Free Software is no exception.  There
> are usually no up-front licening fees, sure.  However, volunteers work on
> whatever they like, and if no one volunteers to maintain and support your
> software you may have to pay for that.
>
> Even with volunteers providing maintenance and support, your specific
> requirements may differ from their goals and that will require effort to
> resolve.
> Also, volunteers are rarely concerned with "market share", losing your
> management as users is not necessarily a concern to them.  If it is a concern
> for you, you may have to put forward some additional effort to address your
> management's issues.

All excellent points, Boyd.  Fortunately in this case, extlinux appears
to be a viable solution.  I'll soon know.  The guy I need to see about
setting a test server to test the backup and restore scenario
has been off work with a sick child for the past couple of days, but when
he gets back I'll try to prove that it is 100% compatible with our
backup software.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :