Permission to NMU gcc-mingw32

The lack of a suitable (i.e. non-buggy) mingw32 cross-compiler has blocked Wine updates for half a year now. Both the mingw32 package (gcc 4.2.1) and the gcc-mingw32 package (gcc 4.4.2) have a bug which was fixed in upstream gcc 4.4.3. At least one of these should be updated, if we want a fully featured Wine, but neither of them seems to be updating. The maintainer of gcc-mingw32, Robert Millan, appears MIA, and mingw32 appears to be blocked on some politics issue (apparently not helped by the existence of gcc-mingw32?).

Anyway, for me, the easiest way to be able to build an updated Wine package would be to NMU gcc-mingw32. Doing so seems to be just a matter of putting in a new gcc tarball in the source package, and I've confirmed that updating it to gcc 4.4.4 seems to work for what Wine needs.

Is it okay if I go ahead and do such a NMU?

Ove