Re: Parallellizing the boot in Debian Squeeze - ready for wider testing

On Sat, May 08, 2010 at 07:07:44PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> Perhaps you are right.  Perhaps we should do a poll to collect
> information on how testers experience their boot with
> CONCURRENCY=makefile, to make it easier to switch with some confidence
> that it would work for most users. :)

Now you're talking! :)

> Well, it has not really been discussed with the release team, and the
> decision depend a lot of when Squeeze freezes, so it is hard to know
> what to decide. :)
>
> Perhaps we should switch the default in unstable to
> CONCURRENCY=makefile for a while, and if it causes a lot of problems
> we can switch it back to sequential boot.  At the moment I believe we
> need to increase the amount of testing a lot to get the remaining bugs
> located and fixed, and that is hard to do without actually doing the
> switch.

If you are ready to monitor the issue closely, I don't see any problem
in switching the default now in unstable, see how it goes, and then
decide later on if revert back to the current default in Squeeze
time. Ideally, you should probably communicate a on the matter when/if
it arrives in testing to raise the awareness for testing users (and
probably we should work on the doc, as reported by Vincent). AFAICT the
change of the default change is relatively self-contained and will only
help in showing other problems which has been difficult to spot thus
far. [ I'm Cc-ing the release team, in case they see extra problems that
I don't in doing that change in the interim. ]

Cheers.