Re: Parallellizing the boot in Debian Squeeze - ready for wider testing

On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 10:06:52AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> All of this is based on my belief that there are very few people
> testing with CONCURRENCY=makefile.  If a lot of people are using it
> successfully, it is less likely that there are many race conditions
> and edge cases left to fix, and enabling it for Squeeze would be a
> more safe option.
>
> Working with the boot system tend to make me very careful when
> introducing changes, as a wrong upload can render a lot of machines
> unable to boot. :)

Fair enough. IMO you've done quite a lot of communication on the matter
(at least to us developers) and I've personally been testing
CONCURRENCY=makefile in response to your repeated call for testers. At
this point, I doubt you can get significantly more testers without
changing the default concurrency level. All in all, it seems to be just
a matter of *when* doing that change to gather more feedback.

I understand that you've considered doing it now and that you've decided
not to (probably in accordance with the release team), which is fairly
understandable. It is just a pity to give up the chance to actually
understand how far are we from correct and complete dependency
declarations. Oh well, I guess it's just life.

Cheers.