Re: Parallellizing the boot in Debian Squeeze - ready for wider testing

On May 07, Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> wrote:

> >  - a decision to drop kfreebsd as a release architecture
> Since 1 and 2 aren't happening, I think we should consider going with
> the third option.
Me too, I believe that the people interested in kfreebsd-* have had more
than enough time to provide the compatibility framework and we cannot
hold back Debian forever for the benefit of a toy port.

OTOH, it is not obvious to me anymore that Debian should commit to
Upstart now that systemd has appeared and it has many compelling
features. I believe we should consider systemd's merits and wait and see
how it will work in the next Fedora release and if SUSE will really
adopt it.
This still does not preclude switching from sysvinit to Upstart, it only
means that maintainers should not convert their init scripts to Upstart
jobs (and it would also allow releasing the kfreebsd-* ports).

Removing the Essential flag from sysvinit would allow interested admins
to install upstart on their systems if they want to benefit from its
features. I am not sure how much useful it would be to also switch to
upstart by default in this scenario, I welcome other opinions.

--
ciao,
Marco