Re: bindv6only again

On 05/05/2010 09:18, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On 2010-05-04, Vincent Danjean <vdanjean.ml@free.fr> wrote:
>>> Nobody bothered to register this in the BTS, I did now.
>>> I am not a java user, so I am unable to evaluate the practical impact of
>>> this implementation being still broken.
>>   From now, you can expect lots of French squeeze users being hit by
>> this bug.
>
> You have to expect testing and unstable breaking occassionally.

For this bug, it begins to be a long time with no visible improvement.

> Did you try icedtea-plugin (i.e. the free variant)?

Not me.
But, from a thread in d-u-french:

Le Tuesday 04 May 2010 à 21:35:44 (+0200), Gaëtan PERRIER a écrit :
> Et t'arrive à aller sur le site des impôts avec icedtea6-plugin ?
> Quand j'essaie ça se termine encore plus rapidement qu'avec le plugins de sun
> car j'ai une erreur avant même la fin de la détection de la config ...

[approx translation :
Did you succeed with icedtea6-plugin on the government web site?
When I try, it breaks more quickly than with the sun's plugin
because I've an error before the end of the configuration detection ...
]

So no, icedtea-plugin does not seems a good workaround.

>>   So, with the current setting in sqeeze, the current practical impact
>> will be a very hard to diagnose bug for most of French Debian users (and a
>> bad publicity for Debian as it will be the only one Linux distribution
>> that will not work).
>
> It's not even stable.

It should be soon and we should work in improving it...

My main concerns about this bug is that it is VERY difficult to diagnose
if you do not already know it.

And I see in these threads lots of things broken (including sun java that
it used/required for lots of software not necessarily packaged in Debian)
and no visible gains for users.

I do not understand what is the purpose to say we will wait before taking
a decision. Either, we switched back to the previous (POSIX) setup (my
preference) or we stick with this setup but actively work to correct
the bugs in applications. I would find very strange if we release sqeeze
with a broken sun's java (even if it is non-free) and no good replacement.

> Kind regards,
> Philipp Kern

  Regards,
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0x9D025E87         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: FC95 08A6 854D DB48 4B9A  8A94 0BF7 7867 9D02 5E87