Re: How does lintian detect embedded-zlib?

* Matthias Klumpp:

> Russ Albery writes about this:
> ----------
> This is generally a false positive in that this is not the problem that
> Lintian is trying to diagnose (although I don't understand why it only
> sometimes shows up in builds of easymp3gain).  I'm trying to figure out a
> good way of having Lintian avoid this problem.
>
> I wonder if we can trigger off of that leading 4 to suppress this tag,
> since that seems to be peculiar to the Pascal implementation.  I think
> I'll give that a try for the next Lintian release.

The leading "4" comes from the Pascal length of the string.  If you
include this check, you should match against the full string,
verbatim, to avoid false negatives.

Or the FPC folks could alter the copyright notice to indicate that
this is a reimplementation.  In a certain sense, this is not even a
false positive because the code appears to be rather literal
translation.  There are other ways to detect zlib copies, but those
would detect this one, too.