Re: document meaning of transition?

Hi,

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010, Thomas Koch wrote:
> I'm reading debian-devel to get to know all that's needed to become a Debian
> Developer. I noticed, that I did not find any documentation about transitions
> or their workflow and that I can only guess, what this thread is about.

Reading debian-devel-announce and the release related mails might have
given you some hints on what a transition is.

> Maybe this is something that would be worth to be written down?

Are you volunteering to document this in the developers-reference for
example? :)

A transition happen when a (backwards) incompatible change needs to be
performed and when it's affecting several packages (typically a package
rename due to an ABI change of a library). Usually it implies
that the whole set of package has to migrate together in testing.

For the sake of the release manager's sanity they have to be coordinated
and planned, otherwise they get entangled together and it's getting very
difficul to migrate updated packages to testing.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Like what I do? Sponsor me: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/05/5-years-of-freexian/