Re: How does lintian detect embedded-zlib?

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 16:41:20 -0400, James Vega <jamessan@debian.org> wrote:
>> So I started some research why this error is shown. FPC - generally -
>> does
>> not link any lib statically, so this ZLib error is bit strange.
>> How does Lintian detect the embedded zlib in binaries?
>
> From /usr/share/lintian/checks/binaries:
>
>     if ($info->field('source') ne 'zlib' and $info->field('source') ne
>     'klibc'
>         and $strings =~ /(?:in|de)flate (?:\d[ \w.\-]{1,20}[\w.\-])/m) {
>         tag "embedded-zlib", $file;
>     }
Thanks to everyone for this information! The embedded-zlib error which is
overriden in nearly every package which uses FPC seems to be a
false-positive in Lintian.
Russ Albery writes about this:
----------
This is generally a false positive in that this is not the problem that
Lintian is trying to diagnose (although I don't understand why it only
sometimes shows up in builds of easymp3gain).  I'm trying to figure out a
good way of having Lintian avoid this problem.

I wonder if we can trigger off of that leading 4 to suppress this tag,
since that seems to be peculiar to the Pascal implementation.  I think
I'll give that a try for the next Lintian release.
Which means it will get fixed. (Yipee!)

Regards
  Matthias Klumpp