Re: Default value of net.ipv6.bindv6only should revert to 0

Hendrik Sattler <post@hendrik-sattler.de> writes:

> I guess not all of them. OTOH, not all of them might use AF_INET6
> sockets for IPv4 connections (the two-sockets approach is always
> possible when using IPV6_V6ONLY socket option).

> At least xinetd uses IPV6_ADDRFORM although that socket option is
> already deprecated again but still useful for such cases.

> openbsd-inetd explicitely doesn't support IPv4-mapped addresses,
> configuration needs seperate IPv4 and IPv6 setup.

> I didn't look at the other two.

Thank you very much for the investigation!  That's really useful
information (at least to me) and I appreciate you taking the effort.

I took a quick look at the source of rlinetd, and so far as I can tell it
will do whatever the default IPv6 stack behavior is.  It iterates through
every return from getaddrinfo for AI_PASSIVE for a particular family, and
doesn't appear to do anything special with the resulting socket before
passing it along to the underlying server.  But I'm not sure that I'm
following the code.