Re: Best practices for development workstations

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 08:46:01AM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Dienstag, 30. März 2010, Marco Túlio Gontijo e Silva wrote:
> > > squid!
> > > (Or any other normal http proxy. I don't recommend any apt-proxy
> > > solution...)
> > Can you explain why?
>
> apt-proxy had issues when I tried (as well as others, which I cannot rememeber
> now), approx iirc requires to changes /etc/apt/sources list, squid always
> worked for me and never had issues, squid is useful for more then just
> proxying apt repositories, squid can be set up as a transparent proxy quite
> easily, updating a full/partial mirror usually takes more bandwidth then just
> using a proxy.

Among specific deb repos proxies, "people" seem to be happy with
apt-cacher-ng (at least on debian-mirrors@ldo), and popcon confirms this
impression (best progression):
http://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=apt-cacher-ng%2Capt-cacher%2Capprox%2Capt-proxy%2Cdebmirror%2Capt-mirror&show_vote=on&want_legend=on&want_ticks=on&beenhere=1

--