Re: Serializing transitions

[ Not quite sure why you sent it to debian-release when I tried to have the
  discussion on -devel only, anyway ]

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010, Philipp Kern wrote:
> [ Just a few quick thoughts. ]
>
> On 2010-03-26, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> > Multiple transitions will still end up mixed in sid if you push them
> > before packages have migrated to testing but they are all already
> > completed and you only have to deal with RC bugs and delays to ensure
> > package can migrate to testing. The release team has less responsibilities
> > in making transitions happen but should instead carefully pick the order
> > in which transitions will be pushed to sid.
>
> This also means that you need to restart aging when pushing stuff into sid,
> so that people can actually test the result, which just won't happen if
> it's done outside of sid.  So for a perfect transition you are moving the
> testing to the end and increase the time for the transition.  ;-)

I think restarting aging is certainly wanted (I also discarded the idea of
having those transition repositories be built on top of testing precisely
because we want testing before going into testing).

That said I think those transition repositories are going to be more used
(and thus tested) than experimental because they are targeted. Users who
want to test the latest KDE or Gnome will happily add such a repository if
its sole purpose is to contain updated packages for this software (and
they should be able to report bugs already).

> And there are those transitions which were not noticed by people beforehand,
> like ABI breaks without package renames, but I guess if your scenario would
> be in place, people would just be forced to revert those in unstable instead
> of pushing an uncoordinated transition through sid.

I guess so. And the checks at upload time could try to catch those
mistakes too.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog