Running Debian Test version via VM Ware Player

Hi,
I am not sure if this is the correct list to email, but the debian-testing list seems to mostly consist of junk mail.
I have installed Debian testing on Ubuntu, through VM Ware Player. It seems to work fine, but I am not sure if I would get different results if installed directly on my computer. eg I once tried to install Debian directly on my computer, but it could not auto detect my monitor type, so I could not use without altering scripts or whatever. The current (as of a fortnight ago) testing version is working fine - but I do not know if this is because Debian is now able to autodetect the monitor, or because VM Ware is somehow intermediating.
Should I take anything to be working on a virtual box to work the same natively?
Should I ask this question on some other list?
Thanks,
Brett.