Re: Proposed removal of arch-perl (libarch-perl)

On 09 Mar 2010 12:33:44 +0100, Alex Muntada wrote:

> + Mikhael Goikhman <migo@homemail.com>:
>
> > I think README gives a handful of hints about the package. Anyway, in
> > the devel branch (managed under tla, that is mentioned in README too)
> > all tests should now pass even without tla or baz installed.
> > I.e.:  TLA=/bin/false make test
>
> IIRC, having Makefile.PL exit a non-zero value should make all CPAN
> smokers ignore the module (no FAIL nor SKIP). Since it should be
> quite straight-forward to check if tla is available on the system
> and there's no point on installing Arch module unless tla is
> available, failing early in Makefile.PL is a Good Thing, IMHO.

This is a reasonable approach. On the other hand it is a pure perl
code that may be installed before installing tla (or its equivalent),
and you may even point to different backend installations at run-time.
In addition, half of the functionality does not depend on presense of
tla. Also, the code has explicit support for perl 5.005, 5.6, 5.8+
and it would be interesting to see whether it is actually true.

So the 0.5.2 release from yesterday tries a different approach, to
skip the relevant tests with "No functional arch backend" reason.

Regards,
Mikhael.