Re: Removing the manpage requirement for GUI programs?

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:

> for the record, I have sumbitted to the Debian fork of the man system
> the idea of tapping into the desktop menu entries when a program has no
> manpage.

> https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?29083

This seems like an unnecessarily complex way of implementing the idea of
generating man pages from .desktop files.  Why would you not simply write
a script that generates a traditional *roff man page from a .desktop file?
It seems to me that such a script would provide all the same benefits more
simply, with additional possible applications (such as using it as a seed
for a proper man page), and without having to make the man frontend more
complicated.