Re: Removing the manpage requirement for GUI programs?

]] Josselin Mouette

| In my opinion, we’d be better off with no manual page than with one
| that is not maintained correctly. However the current policy
| encourages shipping a buggy manual page over not shipping it at all.

Would a reasonable compromise be to ship a man page that says something
along the lines of

  this is program $foo, it's used for task A, B, C, please see
  /usr/share/doc/$foo/html or yelp:$foo for the real documentation.
  Also, see $foo --help for help on command line switches.

It's still an effort to create those pages, but the description of what
a program does should change seldom and it keeps apropos(1) and similar
tools useful.

--
Tollef Fog Heen