Re: libqt3-mt-dev: Depends: libjpeg62-dev but it is not going to be installed

On 2010-02-10 13:23 +0100, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:

> Bill Allombert wrote:
>
>>> Does it make sense that I report this issue to the above packages
>>> (libqt3-mt-dev and libtiff4-dev) ? They should Build-Dep on the
>>> virtual package libjpeg-dev right ?
>
> How can a binary package build-depend on something? Their source obviously
> depends on libjpeg-dev, otherwise the produced -dev package would not depend on
> libjpeg-dev, too.
>
>> The issue is not that libqt3-mt-dev and libtiff4-dev are Build-Depending
>> on libjpeg-dev, but that they are _Depending_ on it. I did not anticipate
>> that.
>
> That is the right behaviour in a lot of cases. On the other side you should
> consider to drop the number from your -dev packages. If they provide the same
> api, then different numbers in the package don't make sense at all. If the api
> breaks bad enough to introduce a new number, then providing libjpeg-dev doesn't
> make sense. Something is broken in your way of packaging this library.

Yeah, it looks like we will have a few hundred RC bugs now because of
that. :-( So, assuming that there are no bad API breaks, how about:

- rename libjpeg8-dev to libjpeg-dev
- provide libjpeg62-dev in libjpeg-dev
- stop building libjpeg62-dev from libjpeg6b source

Then mass-binNMUs of packages could be scheduled.  I'm not sure that it
will not cause problems, but the current situation which requires
sourceful uploads of hundreds of packages in the right order is a
complete mess, IMHO.

Sven