Re: multiarch and pkg-config

[Goswin von Brederlow]
> Then installing the i386 package on amd64 would create the symlink
> and make sources building for 64bit find the 32bit libraries. Verry
> bad idea.

1) People shouldn't be installing -dev packages from the wrong
architecture.  It is too early in the game to rely on that sort of
thing yet.

2) If some source package does not express a Build-Depends in such a
way as to cause the correct architecture "foo-dev" package to be
installed, I'd say that's a serious bug in either the source package,
or the multi-arch design.

3) The dh_makeshlibs postinst logic _could_ only create the symlink if
the architecture is the host architecture, however you detect that in
multi-arch land.  And indeed it could stop doing so if it detects that
pkg-config is an appropriate version.
--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/