Re: FOP: Objects for Formatting Objects ?

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 06:51:00PM +0100, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> Let me rephrase into:
>
> "If you do not manually install the fop-hyph.jar it renders the whole
> fop package unusable. It fails with error like: SEVERE: Couldn't find
> hyphenation pattern en"

It does provide this warning, but it also still works.  I've been using
fop to generate PDFs for years, and I've never had a problem with it
failing to produce correct output due to lacking hyphenation patterns.

> Therefore the only reason why someone would leave a debian package
> into an unusable form, is AFAIK because of a licensing issue. I could
> not find the usual ITP for OFFO where someone says: you cannot upload
> because of license.

Again, it's completely usable for me, and it produces decent output when
it doesn't have hyphenation patterns available.  Had fop not announced
that the hyphenation patterns weren't present, I probably wouldn't have
noticed because the output is that good.  In my experience, it's also
not very aggressive about hyphenating, so the existence of the
hyphenation patterns is not terribly important.

> So I am asking here, if I am missing anything obvious before opening
> an ITP/RFP for OFFO...

What Apache says is that they cannot accept all the terms for the LPPL
(specifically, they don't think they can agree to "restrictions on file
names in redistributed derived works"); therefore, they refuse to
distribute them.  Last I checked, LPPL is acceptable for Debian.

*However*, do note that in the XML source files, there are comments such
as:

<!-- % Do NOT make any alterations to this list! - - - DEK -->
<!-- % The Plain TeX hyphenation tables [NOT TO BE CHANGED IN ANY WAY!] -->

Thus you should carefully examine the licenses of each file.
<http://offo.sourceforge.net/hyphenation/licenses.html> may also be
useful.

+1 713 440 7475 | http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc | My opinion only