Re: FOP: Objects for Formatting Objects ?

Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com> writes:

>   I am reading:
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=526092#20

>   Could someone please let me know why exactly fop-hyph.jar cannot be
> included as a debian package ? LPPL is technically allowed in debian,
> right ?

That bug was closed, so I'm not quite sure what you're referencing.  Maybe
that it only allowed one to configure a path to the JAR and the JAR isn't
included in the package directly?

In general, there's nothing wrong with including a JAR in a Debian package
*if* we have source and the source is under a DFSG license.  A JAR is
roughly the Java equivalent of a compiled library, though, so you can't
just drop a JAR file into a package without having the source, except in
some very strange situations (such as if the JAR were hand-crafted and is
the only source available).  Also, as a library, it's generally best to
package JARs separately and then have everything that uses them depend on
that package rather than copying them into every package and having to
update every package if they change.