Re: quilt 3.0 source format and dpkg-source/dpkg-buildpackage

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, tangke wrote:
> why not apply the patches when build automatically,

This is the case when you build the source package (i.e. dpkg-source does
it if it was not yet done).

> and make clean to unapply the patches?

The clean process is controlled by the maintainer. You could in theory
unapply the patch there.

But the truth is that dpkg-buildpackage was not designed with VCS
in mind and we should start designing a complementary vcs-buildpackage
that implements a friendlier approach like:
 - use the VCS to build the source package
 - unpack the source package in a temporary tree
 - build the binary package there

Currently I don't have the time to start designing this but it's on my
long term TODO to collaborate with {svn,git,bzr,*}-buildpackage
maintainers and to offer a common solution for all VCS that would be
integrated in dpkg-dev.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog