Re: quilt 3.0 source format and dpkg-source/dpkg-buildpackage

Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> writes:

> Hi Goswin,
>
> thanks for the very interesing and profound answer.
>
> On Mi, 20 Jan 2010, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> The other thing is how to manage the source in version control now.
>> Do you commit the source with all patches applied? Or all patches
>> unapplied? Who makes sure that all patches are applied/unapplied and
>> refresh for a commit?

That was more retorical. For everyone to think about and decide for
themself. :) It totaly depends on the kind of workflow you have.

> I have all patches unapplied, and I want it that way. If I develop
> and change something I do quilt push/pop/refresh myself. This can
> NOT be automated anyway, becasue it needs often human intervention.
> So I *really* like quilt for that, and I have converted long time
> ago all packages from dpatch to quilt for that.
>
> Again, I keep all the source unpatches. Actually I don't see
> *why* they should be patched in the repository. I prefer having
> several quilt patches for different thigns, and an automatic system cannot
> know which change in which file belongs to which patch.

Unfortunately (for you) the 3.0 (quilt) format switched to have the
patches applied by default. dpkg-source -x will apply them. clean will
not unapply them. That works better for people that use feature
branches and merge them into master to get a source with everything
applied.

Have you tried adding this to the clean target?
     QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches quilt pop -a

MfG
        Goswin