Re: quilt 3.0 source format and dpkg-source/dpkg-buildpackage

Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> writes:

> Can someone of the proposers of this (nice? stupid? rubbish?) format
> explain me please why on earth:
> - git-buildpackage
> - dpkg-buildpackage
> - and in fact at the bottom dpkg-source
> fuck around in my git repository, applying patches, just for builing
> a source package?
>
> If someone is so kind and tell me how that should work:
>
> $ git-buildpackage -us -uc -S
> ... ok new quilt 3.o source package has been built
> $ git status
> ...peng, all patches applied, but I don't WANT them applied!!!
> $ quilt pop -a
> ... blabla cannot find bla bla...

Bug #557623: Quilt should remember where it first got patches and
series from

Without the patch there you need to set QUILT_PATCHES (can be done in
.quiltrc).

> $ git status
> ...still a pain
>
> Ok, it might be that some people enjoy working permanently in that format,
> but then, how to create a new patch? quilt new does not work:
> $ quilt new
> ... bummer, there is now ./patches in my git repository

Same as above. Major hassle.

You can

edit files
debuild
QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches quilt rename new-name

or

QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches quilt new new-patch
QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches quilt add file
edit file
QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches quilt refresh

> I don't know what big advantages there really are, I have seen the
> announcements again and again and haven't seen any compelling reason in
> it. The only reason is that it is just plain counter intuitive
> to work with.
>
> Well, anyway, I converted one pakcage to quilt 3.0, and I will convert
> it back. I don't care for it.

The MAJOR problem is that need to set QUILT_PATCHES imho. That will
throw most first time users off the wagon.

The other thing is how to manage the source in version control now.
Do you commit the source with all patches applied? Or all patches
unapplied? Who makes sure that all patches are applied/unapplied and
refresh for a commit?

I think to really make 3.0 (quilt) format with git comfortable you
need more infrastructure in git-buildpackage and something like
topgit. For each patch you create a branch and git-buildpackage would
convert those into quilt patches and build then. The debian/patches
dir itself probably shouldn't be in git at all. But that is just an
idea, not a tried and working solution.

Give it time so proper tools for 3.0 (quilt) support can develope and
then give it another try.

> Have a nice day.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Norbert