Re: GPL-licensed software linked against libssl on buildds!

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 02:36:08PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Neil McGovern <neilm@debian.org> writes:
> > On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:59:35AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
>
> >> This is a bug in the netatalk Debian packaging.  You cannot assume the
> >> package will be built in a clean chroot; among other things, the buildd
> >> software explicitly does not guarantee that all packages will be
> >> removed.
>
> > Would it be time to start looking at LVM snapshops + sbuild perhaps?
>
> Well, I would argue that proper package builds in dirty environments is
> something we want in Debian anyway, and while this isn't the ideal method
> to find it, it would be a bug regardless of how the buildds worked.

I'm not arguing that finding these issues isn'[t something worth doing,
but the headache of a broken chroot is (from the wrok I'm involved in) a
much larger problem for us.
Perhaps there could be a release goal / giant cluster-o-doom rebuild of
the archive with commonly problematic libraries?

Neil
--
* Tolimar votes for debconf7 to be somewhere where he speaks the
	language.