Re: Lintian error on- rpath: Would like an exemption

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 07:58:36PM -0600, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> littler (aka 'r') is a small wrapper around GNU R that Jeff Horner and I
> released in 2006 and have been maintaining since.  It is similar to Rscript
> (which appeared a little later as part of base R) but implemented differently
> -- we query a lot of the environment at build time and encode this.  And we
> also use an -rpath against R's main dynamic library.  As a consequence, we
> start faster than either Rscript or R.
>
> And I was about to make a new upstream release, but now see
>
>     E: littler: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath ./usr/bin/r

$ objdump -p /usr/bin/r |grep RPATH
  RPATH                /usr/lib64/R/lib:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64/server:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64:/usr/lib/jni:/usr/lib/libfakeroot:/usr/lib64/libfakeroot:/usr/lib32/libfakeroot

And you only seem to be using libraries from /lib, /usr/lib and /usr/lib/R/lib.

I think lintian is right to complain.

Anyway, I think that /usr/lib/R/lib/libR.so really should be in
/usr/lib/ and that you shouldn't need an rpath at all.

Kurt