Re: Allow package bug scripts to unconditionally stop reportbug

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 02:35:47PM +0100, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> But now I'm wondering if there could be a use case of allowing the
> scripts to unconditionally stop reportbug, for example using a
> "special" exit code (140 f.e.) .

I'm generally opposed to this.  There are no use cases that I can think
of, and a poorly-written bug script can basically prevent anyone but the
most advanced users from reporting bugs.

*However*, if you do decide to implement this, the error code should not
be 126, 127, 128, or 255.  It should probably be something like
128+_NSIG+1 (where _NSIG is included by signal.h), to avoid any
accidental triggering of this functionality.  Decimal 200 might be a
decent choice.

+1 713 440 7475 | http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc | My opinion only