Re: where is /etc/hosts supposed to come from?

On 2010-01-01, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
> * Philipp Kern:
>>> That's false.  You can use protocol-level gateways, which do NAT and PT
>>> (protocol translation).
>> Can you point me to one please?
> There's DNS64 and BEHAVE, probably with some free implementation.  Of
> course, there are hardly any users because the entire IPv6 user base
> is rather small, and we're talking about a renegade faction of that.

I wouldn't call them renegade, to be honest.  I wondered back then how
to achieve an IPv6-only network to check applications for compatibility,
but missed the option to still connect to IPv4 hosts without the use
of proxies.  I don't care about the additional NAT layer because I'm
NATed anyway.  Thanks for those pointers, although the implementations
seem to be missing (not for Windows but for others as it seems).

> IOS has NAT-PT support, IIRC.  It's also patent-encumbered.

Oh ok, I just saw documents deprecating NAT-PT altogether, but I didn't
know the latter.

Thanks a lot,
Philipp Kern