Re: Iceweasel and Firefox compatibility

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 02:19:40PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> A constructive technical approach to this problem might be to get
> chromium into Debian. Its UA claims to be Mozilla, AppleWebKit, Chrome,
> and Safari, all of which have big enough market shares that websites
> tend to "support" them.

The next step will be to have browser claim to be Mozilla,
AppleWebKit, Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera, MSIE, KHTML, Gecko, and
whatever else.

The UA strings have gone too far the day Safari started to say it was
"like Gecko", though it is not as crazy as Camino saying "like Firefox"
(and is actually interesting, because Apple did choose to use "like
Gecko", not "like Firefox")

And as I said in another message in this thread, sites that are sniffing
UA (which is already wrong) badly (even more wrong), will already be
failing with at least two products coming from Mozilla themselves:
Seamonkey and Firefox alpha, beta and nightly releases.

Also note there is a "Report broken web site" in the Help menu, which
gives a dialing in which the first "Problem type" is "Browser not
supported". This should open some kind of evangelism bug to mozilla,
though I'm not exactly sure it works in the Iceweasel builds. Feedback
would be appreciated on this.

Mike