Re: Iceweasel and Firefox compatibility

Obey Arthur Liu wrote:
> I think we're just as not allowed to distribute versions of Firefox that use
> the Firefox user agent as we're not allowed to distribute versions that use the
> Firefox name and logo.

Have we actually gotten legal advice to the effect that a user agent
string is covered by their trademark policy?

> As also explained, user agent switcher fixes the issue trivially.

Would that plugin thus be illegal for us to package and install by
default?

If so, why is iceweasel-torbutton in the archive? One of torbutton's privacy
features is that it contains this code, presumably because use of nonstandard
UA strings has been suggested to be an easy way to identify users:

pref("extensions.torbutton.useragent_override", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021910 Firefox/3.0.7");

Anyway..

A constructive technical approach to this problem might be to get
chromium into Debian. Its UA claims to be Mozilla, AppleWebKit, Chrome,
and Safari, all of which have big enough market shares that websites
tend to "support" them. We've already gotten libv8 in, so all
dependencies are ready, #520324 is apparently only being blocked by a
succession of people being too cautious about stepping on other people's
toes.

--
see shy jo